X behavior problems after upgrade

I just upgraded my laptop (a Thinkpad T61 running amd64) to the latest
-current.  X is behaving oddly.  When I start up X, the trackpoint
isn't working, only the touchpad -- but after a suspend/resume, both
work.  Using cntl+<arrowkey> to switch fvwm desktops doesn't work --
until I do an fvwm restart.  (I haven't touched my fvwm config.)  My
xmodmap call in .xinitrc didn't consign the caps-lock function
to /dev/null until I reran it, at which point it did work.

Clues, anyone?

                --Steve Bellovin,