Re: SSD

>>>>> "ms" == Michal Suchanek <hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost> writes:

    ms> It depends on your application and your drives. High end SSDs
    ms> might be blazingly fast but we are talking about some consumer
    ms> drive here. And these tend to be somewhat slow in practice.

Read the URL's I gave.  There are not ``high end'' and ``consumer''
drives.  There is a single pool of drives.  Some of them just suck.
And synchronous io/s which is similar to latency does need to be
tested separately from streaming throughput, but it's not so much of a
`whaaaaal it depends on what you're trying to accomplish---you need to
match the SSD to the application.'  Not so much.  `And in some cases a
spinning disk is faster for your particular workload.'---nope, not if
you get an SSD that doesn't suck.  Yeah you need to check both io/s
and throughput, but both latency and throughput are important to most
applications (except applications where the performance of the drive
isn't important at all).

You are right that write latency seems to be the distinguishing factor
of good drives from bad drives.  And I am right that the difference is
proprietary software inside the drive, not MLC vs SLC, not
``enterprise'' vs ``consumer class''.  Some of the drives just suck.
Read the reviews and get one that doesn't.  This turns out to be
extremely easy:

 http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=25