acpilid works in single user but not in multiuser

So for a while I've thought the lid switch was broken on my eeepc, but
then today I had a disk problem and ended up in single user mode.  To
my surprise I found out that my lid switch was working again and
reporting to the console!

When I fsck-ed and rebooted I ended up with a non working lid switch
again until I did a "shutdown now".  After that the console is back to
printing out those re-assuring messages from acpilid.  I'm currently
running 5.99.11 from a little while ago.  Any ideas?

Matt