File unlock

All,
        I'm running 5.99.13 and Firefox 3.  I can start Firefox
once without a problem.  If I try to start Firefox again,
it states that a previous instance is running, but not
responding.  There is no other instance.  The problem is
that the file .parentlock.  It is an empty file that
Firefox creates to indicate that an instance is running.
If I delete the file, I can restart the program.
        Looking at the ktruss output, Firefox opens and
locks .parentlock, but I don't see where the lock is ever
removed.  I've tested and confirmed that NetBSD is removing
locks upon program exit.  It looks like file descriptor 6
is begin reassigned as a socket.  This could be the
problem.  The ktruss output is attached.

Aran