Strange error message

Bit of a long story, I'll try to keep it short...

One of my hard drives decided to die, developing a habit of timing-out various I/O operations. Needless to say, this rendered the machine virtually useless.

I got a new drive and did the fdisk/disklabel/installboot dance, then ran pax to copy as much as possible from the old hard drive to the new one. (I do have an off-line backup, but it's also off-site, and it's painful to restore from <gasp>tape!)

I've now got a system that is more-or-less functional, and after booting it I re-ran ``build.sh install=/'' to make sure evrything was installed.

There's just one thing... It seems that every time I try to run something from my installed packages, I get an error message:

        Shared object has no run-time symbol table

I have no clue where this message is coming from, but I thought I'd have a look at the programs that were giving me this message. Running ldd on them gives no results (and no error message). Example:

        {106} which tcsh
        /usr/pkg/bin/tcsh
        {107} ldd /usr/pkg/bin/tcsh
        /usr/pkg/bin/tcsh:
        {108} ldd /bin/csh
        /bin/csh:
                -lc.12 => /lib/libc.so.12
        {109}

Running ldd on other files works fine, so I don't think ldd is broken:

Any clue on what is missing or broken? And other than a complete reinstall-from-scratch, suggestions on how to fix?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |