Re: df(1) reporting wrong size

Johnny Billquist --> current-users (2009-05-21 11:33:50 +0200):
> Jukka Salmi wrote:
>> Hello,
>> on a freshly installed NetBSD/i386 system (5.99.11 built from sources as
>> of about two days ago)  df(1) seems to report a wrong value for the free
>> disk space for the /var file system (du(1) is correct, though):
>> $ df -h /var
>> Filesystem        Size       Used      Avail %Cap Mounted on
>> /dev/wd0f         241M       139M        90M  60% /var
>> $ du -xsh /var
>> 3.2M /var
>> IIRC a similar problem has been reported recently, but I can't find the
>> thread in question now.
>> Any hints?
> You don't happen to have very many small files on /var do you?
> If I remember right, du reports the actual size of the files, while with
> df you see how much space have been allocated. They are not the same
> thing.

There are 65 files in /var; I don't think that's excessive ;-)

Juergen Hannken-Illjes --> current-users (2009-05-21 11:33:40 +0200):
> Unlinked, but open files?

I don't think so; I noticed the problem right after having installed
NetBSD using sysinst.  However, since I reran newfs(8) on the file
system and restored its contents (using pax(1)), df(1) now reports the
expected value.  Hmm.

If I find enough time I'll reinstall using sysinst, just to see if I can
reproduce the problem.

Regards, Jukka

This email fills a much-needed gap in the archives.