Modular kernel anomaly

On port-amd64, when 'options COMPAT_50' is included directly in a kernel, I get the following output

        # sysctl 1.21
        sysctl: kern.oboottime: this type is unknown to this program

Yet, when the running kernel does not include COMPAT_50, I get the following output, whether or not I have manually loaded the compat module:

        # sysctl 1.21
        sysctl: second level name '21' in '1.21' is invalid

I've got an externally-provided program, available only as a binary, that uses this sysctl, so it would be nice to determine if it is supposed to work when compat is loaded as a module rather than being part of the booted kernel.

Thanks in advance!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |