Re: Welcome 5.0

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 05:18:47PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > > For the fastest ports (i386 & amd64) it may be worth a rebuild, just to
> > > get
> > > rid of the warnings when a binary package is installed...
> >
> > The build takes more than a week on modern x86 systems (with a lot of
> > babysitting because of handing processes in some packages build) ...
> > There will be no binary package update during this time, which isn't
> > good.
>
> This is why in the past, when a release was coming, we've used
> libkver to build binary packages with the actual release version embedded
> rather than _BETAn or _RCm.

Personally, I've built binary packages (including some for the branches)
using libkver, but that was years ago. I wasn't aware that there were
official packages being built on any project machines, but you'd know
more of that because you set up the pkgbuild machine. When was libkver
used to do this? 4.0? 3.1?

> Did this change just because of the length of the 5.0 release process, or
> was it an oversight, or was there some other reason?

Yeah, I think the shortness of the 5.0 release cycle kind of caught
everyone by surprise.  Soren deserves a huge round of applause for his
superb work.

Regards,
Alistair