Re: Ideas about an analog-to-digital converter API

Ken Hornstein wrote:
Actually, audio has a way to set the analog input range: it has input
gain control (multichannel, yet) as part of the mixer interface.

Hm, I looked at that, but I don't quite see how it's flexible enough.  For
example, the MAX197 (the A/D chip that is of interest to me) can be set
to go from 0 to 5V, 0 to 10V, -5 to 5V, or -10 to 10V.  The "gain" knob on
the mixer is an unsigned char.  I could set some "magic" gain values to
make that work, but it just feels ... wrong.  And there's not a good way
to query capabilies using that interface, from what I can see.

A hardware driver using MI audio can provide its own ioctls, you could use that for your driver (or layer another API between MI audio and your driver using custom ioctls).

Cheers,
Jared