Re: Ideas about an analog-to-digital converter API

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 07:43:33PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> - audio(4) is complicated.  It has a lot of stuff in it.  This complexity
>   makes it a lot of work to do what I would think are relatively simple
>   A/D operations.
> - It doesn't have the functionality to support the features of some A/D
>   converter hardware.  E.g, there isn't a way to select the analog input
>   range.  You could overload some stuff in the current audio interface,
>   but it just ... feels awkward.

Actually, audio has a way to set the analog input range: it has input
gain control (multichannel, yet) as part of the mixer interface.

The problem is that nothing in audio(4) is calibrated -- it's all
arbitrary units on the analog side.  But that would not be so very
hard to fix!

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost