xorg xkb issues

Hi,
   various people have reported issues with the latest x server (both
from pkgsrc and native) not doing VT switching and and having other
problems with the xkb extension (eg not setting numlock from software
when requested).  I've been poking at this a bit and have found the
following:

A client doing an XkbGetKeyboard() call fails talking to a 1.4.2
server but succeeds talking to a 1.3.0 server.

Using ktrace to see what the server is doing in each case shows that
on receipt of the GetKeyboard the server exec's an "xkbcomp" and
feeds it a keyboard config to compile.  In the 1.3.0 case this
succeeds, writing something out
to /usr/pkg/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm.
In the 1.4.2 case it fails with errors and the X server reports:
        (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
        (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
and presumably signals back an error to the client.

The config file for the 1.4.2 and 1.3.0 servers are identical.

I've traced two different machines running 1.4.2 (my laptop and one of
the desktops here) and they both report errors from xkbcomp but the
errors are different.

My laptop:
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>                   Using last definition
> Error:            Section defined without a name
>                   Definition ignored
> Error:            Section defined without a name
>                   Definition ignored
> Error:            Section defined without a name
>                   Definition ignored
> Error:            Section defined without a name
>                   Definition ignored
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition
> Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>                   Using first definition

The desktop:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "unknown" for geometry include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning geometry file "default"

So I don't know what controls what input the X server tries to feed to
xkbcomp but certainly in my case with 1.4.2 its not getting it right.

cheers
mark