Re: trap leads to lockdebug panic

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:36:30AM -0700, Sverre Froyen wrote:

> This is just an FYI.
>
> While investigating the (now fixed) tun deadlock, I ran into the following
> panic with a LOCKDEBUG kernel while rebooting a crashed system:
>
> Mutex error: lockdebug_barrier: spin lock held
>
> with the backtrace:
>
> panic
> lockdebug_abort1
> rw_enter
> vm_map_lock_read
> uvm_fault_internal
> trap
> free
> wapbl_replay_start
> ffs_wapbl_replay_start
> ffs_mountfs
> ffs_mount
>
> The trap was the result of bad call to free, which has since been fixed.
> What
> strikes me as strange, however, is the trace after the trap -- eventually
> leading to a lockdebug panic.  Since the trap itself presumably is fatal, the
> rest may be irrelevant.  On the other hand, if anyone finds it interesting,
> here it is.

malloc_lock is held hence you get the lockdebug panic while handling the
trap. It's a bit of a pain but nobody has been interested in improving the
behaviour because it happens when you have both an existing kernel bug and
the LOCKDEBUG option: the output is confusing but it's possible to figure
out what has happened.

Andrew