Re: TP4 over IP and EON support to be removed in -current/6.0

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:32:22PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> To help make the kernel locking simplier/better, a major source of pain
> will be removed.
> This is the capability of using TP4 over IP and IP over CLNP or CLNP
> over IP.  No longer
> will netinet and netiso be able to directly call each other.
>
> I doubt this will significantly inconvenience anyone but here's a head up
> anyways.

I don't object much to removing EON - EON was meant as an experimental
network (similar to 6bone) before a proper CLNP infrastructure was
in place, and should (if at all) be implemented as a special case
of if_gif nowadays.

As for the others - they served the same purpose, and in addition to
demonstrate network level exchangability; I don't think they're very
useful nowadays, other than for historical / network archeological
purposes. If there's a real structural benefit to removing them, so
be it.

I mostly want local networking (for IS-IS) and routing to work.

Experimental wide-area networks in the absence of native connectivity
can always be done by tunneling Ethernet, right?

        -is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/