Re: Thoughts on large disk reliability and raid maintenance?

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:42:47PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>       Hello.  I've just been reading this blog on the reliability of larger
> and larger disks:
>       I wonder if it might be useful to add a thread which slowly and
> continuously reads the raid set over and over again, testing for bad
> sectors and, as he suggests, writing them back to the affected drives.
> I've certainly run into situations where a sector went bad on a raid set,
> then, when I went to rebuild the raid set, found that other sectors on
> other drives were bad.
> thoughts?

I've been bit by that before too.   I ended up running dd as a sanity

what's I/O scheduling like from userland?  it seems like a userland
daemon should be able to do this.  (or am I just fantasising?)

  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |