Re: GCC

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:14:59PM +0200, Vincent wrote:
> But NetBSD cannot stall forever on a increasingly obsolete GCC version.

If it generates working code for the all the supported architectures
and supports the relevent C standards that is probably good enough.

> gcc 4.1, for example, has no specific (integer and schedule) support
> for Core 2 architectures, if I am not mistaken, this has been
> introduced in gcc 4.3. Now, there are the new Penryn processor out
> there, with sse4, supported only in gcc 4.3. Etc.

Why is this a problem? The Core 2 processors are probably the fastest
CPUs NetBSD currently runs on. I don't think that CPU specific
optimization which makes code run another 5% faster on this kind of
hardware is an important criteria for the compiler provided by the
base system.

        Kind regards