Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Simon Burge wrote:

Paul Goyette wrote:

Well, that certainly qualifies as weird!  It's rather hard to imagine
how a fan running at 0 RPM could be over any critical limit!  :)

I assumed that a fan not spinning at all was "critical" too...

No, if anything that would be a "critical under limit" - ie critically too slow. "Over limit" means sensor reading exceeds a limit value.

Unattached sensors shouldn't generate alarms.  Any chance you could
check with a kernel from today to see if the initialization code I
committed has any effect?  Meantime I grovel through the code again
looking for more clues.

Ok, will try this.  Any FOO_DEBUG options I can set to get extra info?

There's ENVSYS_DEBUG and ENVSYS_OBJECTS_DEBUG but they probably won't add much benefit. One of the things I intend to add over time is some better debugging. As others have pointed out, it's a convoluted piece of code and difficult to navigate.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |