Re: bizarre behavior reading files incorrectly with 4.99.72: FIXED

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 08:38:15AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> It turns out the problem was that /tmp (tmpfs) was 512K, not 512M.  So
> there's apparently a bug in patch that fails to error out when /tmp is
> too small.

I've encountered this, too.  The problem is that tmpfs takes its size
(as a mount argument) in bytes, whereas the old MFS took it in blocks.
Naively converting an fstab entry causes this highly unobvious lossage.

I did agitate for changing the tmpfs behavior (or at least modifying
mount_tmpfs to require a scaling factor on the size argument, e.g.
"512k" or "512m") but nobody else seemed to like that idea much.

Thor Lancelot Simon
 "My guess is that the minimal training typically provided would only
 have given the party in question multiple new and elaborate ways to do
 something incomprehensibly stupid and dangerous."      -Rich Goldstone