System freeze on X server startup

if I start the X11 server on my NetBSD/amd64 machine running a
4.99.70 kernel built from yesterday's source I get a working X session.

But if I quit the X session and try to start X again the machine locks
up hard. I cannot even break into the kernel debugger sending a
break on the serial console. The machine is an HP Proliant ML110 G4
with an extra nVidia GeForce 7300 LE PCIe graphics card.

Has anybody else seen this?

        Kind regards

Matthias Scheler