Re: ongoing rump udf build failure - and strict-aliasing warnings generally

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 01:02:46PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > Therefore, surely it seems therefore that one should *also* not
> > squelch it with blanket -Wno-* options either.  So, do we have a brave
> > volunteer who knows what he's doing to squelch them properly?
>
> I think the short answer is "use a temporary variable of the right type"
> and not to throw casts in just to stop the warnings.

I assume gcc is then still free to optimise away the temporary
variable, now that you've used the extra semantics to avoid telling
puns?

> This is what I
> suggested to Reinoud - does his lastest change fix your build problem?

Yes. (Thanks Rei, the build was running when I sent the last mail)

> Just to build an amd64 GENERIC kernel without -fno-strict-aliasing give
> 167 type-punned warnings, so that brave volunteer needs to understand
> the code in question and also have a bit of time up their sleeves as
> well.

Certainly - but across how many files?  Even just capturing the
current set of affected files (with explicit per-file CFLAGS) will
help avoid new ones creeping in under the umbrella, no matter how slow
the progress at cleaning those up might be.

--
Dan.