NetBSD introduction of C++ wide character support

I am trying to get some patches into an upstream project.  The project
maintainers are asking for the value of the __NetBSD__ compiler macro
that corresponds to the introduction of C++ wide character support.  I
presume that this corresponds to the introduction of some particular
version of gcc into the source tree, but I am not certain which
version is relevant and when that occurred.  My hope is that someone
paying closer attention to history just knows and can clue me in.

Thanks alot for your help.

Cheers,
Brook