Re: TOOLDIR different for release and install?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:34:50AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > With sources as of yesterday, I made a release (with tools) and then tried
> > an install:
> >
> > galant: {3} sudo sh build.sh -O /var/obj -U -u -x install=/
> > ===> build.sh command: build.sh -O /var/obj -U -u -x install=/
> > ===> build.sh started: Mon Jul  7 09:19:35 BST 2008
> > ===> NetBSD version:   4.99.69
> > ===> MACHINE:          i386
> > ===> MACHINE_ARCH:     i386
> > ===> Build platform:   NetBSD 4.99.69 i386
> > ===> HOST_SH:          /bin/sh
> > ===> No /var/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-4.99.69-i386/bin/nbmake, needs building.
> > ===> Bootstrapping nbmake
> > checking for sh... /bin/sh
> > checking for gcc... cc
> > [...]
> >
> > why does it need to build nmbake anew when it just built tools (to the
> > default /usr/tools) and a release? In any case, nbmake is not long
> > building and then..
>
> Let me guess, you built the tools on 4.99.68 so the TOOLDIR was in
> /var/obj/tooldir.NetBSD-4.99.68-i386, then booted 4.99.69 kernel and ran
> the abovementioned command.  That's normal since the kernel version and
> thus the path to tools changed.  If you want to avoid it, explicitely
> set TOOLDIR, e.g., with build.sh -T.

Hmm I don't *think* it went that way - so far as I recall I built a kernel
and rebooted, then built the release under the new kernel (before
installing new userland that may _require_ the new kernel, always stress
test it :)

also the /var/obj directory was empty upon building the release

In any case, there is only a tooldir.NetBSD-4.99.69-i386 (containing the
just made nbmake) and the /usr/tools directory (containing the tools dated
yesterday when the build started) and no other tool directory. surely if a
tool directory is being made, it would use the version number of the
source code and not the version number of the running kernel..?

and yes, using "-T /usr/tools" let me install just fine but I don't think
it should be necessary.

iain