Re: recent -current changes made smartd (smartmontools) a hanging process

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 15:39:16 +0200
Markus W Kilbinger <> wrote:

> Hi!
> Since at least yesterday an actual -current kernel (on i386 and
> cobalt/mipsel) made 'smartd' (out of pkgsrc/sysutils/smartmontools) a
> hanging, un-kill-able process. Recompiling the package does not change
> this behavior.
> Does anybody see what's the reason for this?
I noticed the same thing in an odd setup, but I figured it was the way
I was using it (an i386 LiveCD because I've gotten some strange output
when running smartd on amd64, and I wanted to see if it was the disk or
the system...)

So -- no clue about the problem, but count this as another report.

                --Steve Bellovin,