tagging of mp3 files - id3v1 or id3v2?

Hi -
I'd like to get some founded opinions what a program
which rips and tags mp3 files should do these days.
There are two different ways to tag mp3 files:
-id3v1, the tag is at the end
-id3v2, the tag is at the beginning, the file starts
 with "ID3" rather than "MP3"
One can also do both to a file.

Background of the question is that I'm playing with
a newer version of "streamripper" for a while. Former
versions (as the one still in pkgsrc) apply both
versions. The newer ones only v2.

Is this a general trend? What do hardware MP3 players
recognize?

There are programs in pkgsrc which don't recognize
files not starting with "MP3", which would allow v1 only.
Others don't recognize a tag at the end, thus require
v1, but tolerate an additional v2.

These programs (some mp3check and info tools) might be
considered outdated, but I don't want to piss of users
of hardware players and other popular programs.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt