Re: Multiple modstat ?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:25:56PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> >Just taking a quick look, it appears that we have two different modstat
> >programs, one in src/usr.bin/ and the other in usr/sbin/  Both of these
> >appear to be built conditionally on
> >
> >     .if ${MKMODULAR} != "no"
> >

> Never mind - finally noticed that one of them is conditional on
>
>       .if (! (${MKMODULAR} != "no) )
>
> Time for new reading glasses.

It needs to be proposed but once we branch 5.0 I'm hoping we can retire the
lkm stuff and fully turn on the new module framework. Until something is
done about it the ambiguity will remain. :-)

Once nice property of the new modules is that you can take one and add it to
the OBJS list for the kernel makefile. If the module is reasonable no other
changes are required and it gets built into the system. So I'm thinking that
it would be worthwhile looking at config(8), and replacing a lot of the
options with a 'module' keyword that would do something along those lines. I
don't have good ideas about device drivers yet.

Andrew