Re: Trying to add inet6 address w/o inet6 support resets interface configuration

On Mon, May 19, 2008 9:29 am, David Young wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:44:15PM -0700, Scott Ellis wrote:
>> I noticed this on the May 5th kernel+userland, and just now got a chance
>> to try it on today's kernel+userland.
>> I always build my systems w/o INET6 (no need for it yet).
>> Unfortunately, after boot, lo0 isn't configured.  Turns out running
>> "ifconfig lo0 inet6" (as is done twice in rc.d/network) results in a
>> SIOCAIFADDR error, that removes the configuration entirely. :-(
>> For example...
>> intrepid{~}# ifconfig lo0
>> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33648
>>         inet netmask 0xff000000
>> intrepid{~}# ifconfig lo0 inet6
>> lo0: SIOCAIFADDR: Address family not supported by protocol family
> On intrepid, what domain name does 'inet6' resolve to?

That's a weird question. :-) I'm using OpenDNS, so I get:

intrepid{~}% nslookup inet6

Non-authoritative answer:

Is that what you wanted to know?

FWIW, this happens in a VMWare box on another network as well (where I
don't think I even configured /etc/myname or resolv.conf).