overnight crash on current-amd64

Around 22:40 last night, I booted an up-to-date kernel from a very few
hours earlier.  I left userspace alone.  I started a pkg_comp run to
rebuild everything.  When I woke up this morning, the machine was
wedged -- no answer on the keyboard or the network, and I couldn't
suspend.  I was in X, so I couldn't get a dump.

So -- something bad happened, possibly load-related, but I'm not sure
what...