xen on amd64

I've decided it's time to try out xen, mostly because I need more
versions of NetBSD doing trial-builds than I have power budget for.

I've installed an arm64 -current(ish), upgraded to the latest -current
kernel and userland, and installed a small pile of packages to make it
into a "real" machine.  Other than pkgsrc/net/net-snmp not compiling,
this worked without a hitch.

Problem #1:  The motherboard-installed Intel SATA RAID controller isn't
detected.

# pcictl pci0 list -n
000:31:2: 0x27c38086 (0x01040001)

# pcictl pci0 list
000:31:2: Intel 82801GB/GR RAID SATA Controller (RAID mass storage,
revision 0x01)

Is there a driver for this that I'm missing?  I thought this driver was
supposed to detect several modern controllers?

~  ahcisata* at pci? dev ? function ?      # AHCI SATA controllers

So, since I can't use the onboard SATA, I installed an older SATA
controller I had lying around:

satalink0 at pci7 dev 1 function 0
satalink0: Silicon Image SATALink 3112 (rev. 0x01)
satalink0: SATALink BA5 register space disabled
satalink0: bus-master DMA support present
satalink0: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
satalink0: using ioapic0 pin 22 (irq 9) for native-PCI interrupt
atabus0 at satalink0 channel 0
satalink0: secondary channel wired to native-PCI mode
atabus1 at satalink0 channel 1
satalink0: port 1: device present, speed: 1.5Gb/s
wd0 at atabus1 drive 0azalia0: codec[2]: Sigmatel STAC9227X (rev. 2.1)
azalia0: codec[2]: High Definition Audio rev. 1.0
audio0 at azalia0: full duplex, independent
: <ST3320620AS>
wd0: quirks 2<FORCE_LBA48>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 298 GB, 620181 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 625142448 sectors

Ignoring the not so great formatting, it is detected and seems to work
well.  Note the same controller and drive do NOT work in my rather old
/i386 SMP machine (actually running AMD chips).  The drive just... stops.

I managed to get grub installed and configured, and booted the Xen
kernel and XEN_DOM0 NetBSD kernel.

First problem:
I had to specify root on wd0a in the XEN_DOM0 kernel or it could not
find a root partition.  And the USB keyboard didn't work when prompted
for a root device.  Adding the "root on wd0a" 'fixed' this.

Second problem:
Disk access from the NetBSD DOM0 kernel is problematic.  Sometimes it
works fine, other times it slows to a crawl, other times it just fails.
~  For example, logging into the DOM0 once caused "missed interrupt"
errors, followed by all disk access failing.  Later, when I power cycled
to reboot, fsck took 1.5 hours on a 260 GB partition which contains only
pkgsrc, src, and xsrc.

Any thoughts about what to poke first to get the SATA RAID going, and
then the rest might just work?

- --Michael