Re: journaling integration in current?

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:31:39PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
|On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 05:54:43PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
|> there were some announcements about FFS getting journalling in -current
|> some weeks ago. I wanted to ask what the status is to enable this?
|> I haven't seen any switches in sysinst - is this enabled by default,
|> or is it missing? Where do I find the documentation to enable this
|> manually?
|
|It is not committed as there are some issues left. You have to get the
|patch, rebuild the system and ensure that there's space left at the end
|of filesystems. For now this effectively means that you have to run fsck
|again.

How much space is required?  Is there anything which outlines what it does
and how it hangs together?  I understand if official documentation is
lacking before it's formally released, but I'd be interested in have a look
at whatever is out there about it ...

Slow, under-powered hosts and 200GB+ mirrored filesystems are not a happy
mix if they hiccup, so journalling would be very useful ...

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left