Re: ifwatchd and interface-Down

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:29:04AM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I'm not seeing Interface Down events via ifwatchd.  I see them if an
> address is deleted, but not if the interface is ifconfig'ed down.  (My
> real interest is even more than that -- I want to be notified when wpi0
> goes offline because of a fatal firmware error.  But that's a separate
> problem, for another post...)

Just a footnote-like comment:

I was also playing with ifwatchd the other day, but found it somewhat
troublesome
for wireless networking. As I want the ethernet to go down when the wpi goes up,
automatically associates and gets an address from dhclient, the events get mixed
up.

(Furthermore, I want this scenario to happen when I hit the radio kill -switch
that my laptop has. To accomplish this, I wrote a tiny, naive daemon[1].)

- Jukka R.

---
[1] http://drear.iki.fi/pub/netbsd/wpiradiod/wpiradiod-0.1.tar.gz