Re: Intel Penryn Core 2 T8100 proc. and PM 965 Express chipset current support ?

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Vincent wrote:
Hi there,

I am planning to update my old laptop and buy a brand new Sony Vaio FZ 31 S. That beast features the new Core duo 45 nm Penryn-based processor (with SSE4, etc.) and a PM 965 Express chipset (and more, but that's not relevant here).

Since I am planning to wipe off Windows, try to get refunded and install NetBSD-current instead, I am wondering if this is feasible, that is, if there is no incompatibility recorded (i.e. does the system boot, even in a somewhat backup mode?). Besides, tell what features are or are not yet implemented, so that if I can be of any help testing out or writing out fresh things on this newest plateform, it would be with great pleasure.

Hi Vincent --

I have a T7100 with an 965, and it works like a charm. One thing you need to be careful about is if you have ENHANCED_SPEEDSTEP in your kernel, the newer Intel chips support overclocking via est and we erroneously select the highest frequency available by default. You will want to ensure that you step this down at startup via /etc/sysctl.conf

Cheers,
Jared