Re: amd64 kernel not identifying root filesystem

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 06:38:36PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> A moderately recent 'current' amd64 kernel (I think from source from
> saturday) is failing to determine the correct boot device.
>
> It gives:
> opendisk: can't open dev wd0 (16)
> opendisk: can't open dev wd0 (16)
> opendisk: can't open dev wd0 (16)
> boot device: <unknown>
>
> This is a ASUS A8V delux.

Some investigation shows that this is (probably) fallout from ad's
change to disallow multiple specfs_open() of block devices.

I see 3 opens for minor 3 (wd0d) during the wd0 probe, and more
of the same when it tries to find the root filesystem (wd0i).
All but the first will fail.

There are also some calls that will fail later in the boot sequence.

I suspect there are VOP_OPEN() calls that have no matching VOP_CLOSE().
If the 'old' vnode isn't freed, a new one can't do VOP_OPEN().

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost