Re: interrupt storm after resume on Thinkpad T61

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:32:44 +0100
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 03:23:21PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > Any thoughts on the interrupt storm problem?
>
> Very likely the broken USB on resume. I don't have the hardware and I
> have run out of ideas for debugging it a while ago.

I think they're related but not the same.  Linux had both problems, but
the BIOS update fixed it.

Assuming that for now the USB-on-resume problem is unsolvable, is there
any (rational) way to disable the USB ports?  I mean, I may as well
disable them at build time or boot time, since they're not useful after
the first suspend/resume.  I don't know if the same problem affects the
fingerprint reader and EVDO interface; if not, I don't want to give
them up (even though I'm not using either at the moment).  What about
code to manually disable a port?  (drvctl hung when I tried using it to
detach one of the offending USB ports.)  What about auto-disabling a
port that has too high a spurious interrupt rate?  I've seen that in
operating systems since ~1971....