Re: Strange hang on 4.99.49

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

2008/1/22, Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>:
I'm running a kernel + userland from sources as of just a few hours ago.

I started up a build.sh with -j 4 and all of a sudden, after an hour or
more of running, the system just went completely idle even though the
build is nowhere near complete.

Looking around, I found three cc1 processes (only 3, not 4).  One of
them was in a 'vnode' state while the other two are in 'vnlock'.  Both
my /usr/src and /usr/obj are null-mounts

       /dev/wd0a on / type ffs (NFS exported, local)
       /dev/wd0e on /var type ffs (local)
       /dev/wd0g on /home type ffs (NFS exported, local)
    /dev/wd0h on /build type ffs (soft dependencies, NFS exported, local)
       /dev/wd1a on /amanda type ffs (local)
    /build/src on /usr/src type null (local)
    /build/obj on /usr/obj type null (local)
       /build/xsrc on /usr/xsrc type null (local)
       /build/pkgsrc on /usr/pkgsrc type null (local)
       kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
       ptyfs on /dev/pts type ptyfs (local)
       tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (local)

Is there some sort of locking race condition that I've managed to hit?
If so, is there a way to avoid it?

I'm having the same problems with LFS.
Processes get stuck in vnode, especially when read/write is involved.
FFS seems not to be affected.

Well, since I couldn't kill any of the processes, I tried to shut the system down. It hung for several hours at "dismounting file systems" and I finally had to hit the reset button.

If there's anything I can do to help debug this, I'll be happy to help. In the mean time I'm going to try again to see if I can get a build.sh running - this time I think I'll try without -j4 and see if it gets any further.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |

!DSPAM:479693a31797944755118!