Re: kde requirements?

Sarton O'Brien-2 wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Kirby wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Dec 2007, at 00:28, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just a quick question (please ignore this if you are anti-kde), does
>>> anyone know if someone is tackling the underlying requirements for the
>>> kde desktop to completely function on netbsd (be it kde devs or netbsd)?
>>
>> Kde works perfectly fine on NetBSD it doesn't have all the bells and
>> whistles but is perfectly usable as a desktop.
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't usable. I've used it on NetBSD
> in the last 6 months with great success but unfortunately the
> software<->hardware integration side required me to switch to linux for
> the benefit of the end user.
>
>> Is there something you specifically need?
>
> Nothing specific, unfortunately it's the bells and whistles that make it
> an attractive alternative for windows users. Despite some permission
> configuration requirements, KDE is quite usable for somebody with no
> previous *nix experience. When everything on KDE functions, I consider
> it a drop-in replacement for windows and up to now, arch linux is about
> the only os/distro I can bare to use. Being bleeding edge, I was unsure
> as to how far behind NetBSD might be feature-wise, where KDE is concerned.
>
>>> I'd sooner switch from linux even for at least testing/debugging
>>> purposes if there_is_ progress being made.
>>>

>> Yes there is. The work that freza@ did for his soc is being incorporated
>> into some work that cube@ is working on. mjf@ is also working on a devfs
>> implementation both of which make the hal port easier. Once those two
>> bits are included in current sources i can continue with writing the
>> netbsd backend for hal, unless freza wants to do that too ;)
>>
>> KDE 4 is currently in progress and preliminary packages are in pkgsrc
>> wip, that work is being done by markd@
>>
>> So yes there is work around this area.
>>
>> If there is anything else you would like to know just shout.
>
> That's great to hear. I won't ask about a timeframe, I know how annoying
> that can be but I guess I'm waiting for at least the testing phase of
> hal integration, assuming that's KDE's last OS requirement. I'll keep my
> ear to the ground ... or is there somewhere I can look for info on the
> dev process?
>

> Thanks a lot for the information.
>
> Sarton

Being a KDE user on NetBSD 4.XX current, i wouldn't advise NetBSD as windows
replacement. As Mark said, KDE on NetBSD works almost perfectly but when it
comes to small thing that make eaiser your desktop life in Windows, they
generakky do not exist especially on recent notebooks.

I believe NetBSD -as of now- does not target end-user market, and that's why
it somehow requires intermediate *nix knowledgebase. If so, there would be
iso CDs with KDE/GNOME/XFCE preinstalled and/or a good "Add Remove Software"
interface -instead of 'make install' in shell.

However, NetBSD has very good advantages, including being out of box secure
OS and installing softwares from source files. I personally also like to
have compiled and installed softwares under different directory from default
ones: /usr/pkg/bin instead of /usr/local/bin. It also sometimes very funny
to add patches to some softwares and compile them as i wish :-) Thanks to
all pkgsrc maintainers!

PS: As desktop replacement, most of my friends use OpenSUSE because of
number of maintainers, supporters and users.

Best regards,

-----