ATF-devel archive

Re: Running tests with different path for Kyuafiles and binaries ?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:34:26AM -0400, Julio Merino wrote:
> Another possibility that just crossed my mind (and that I think makes
> a lot of sense atually) would be to teach "kyua test" about build
> directories: allow the caller to specify a destdir/buildroot and use
> that as the prefix to locate the binaries themselves (not the
> Kyuafiles).  This would be more in line with make's behavior and some
> other build tools I have used.  The issue here would be dealing with
> programs that reference data files in the program's srcdir: if the
> data file needs some kind of "build", then it will be in the
> buildroot; otherwise, it will be in the source tree.  But we could
> deal with that somehow!

As I've ranted about the subject before, I can do it again. No, you usually
do NOT want your tests to be embedded in the source tree. Whether you are
doing JUnit or ATF tests, you want a clear separation between the source
code and the tests. In NetBSD a typical example would be third-party code;
you don't want to pollute the genuine source code in any way. If you think
about languages with namespaces or packages, the point should be even
clearer.

- Jukka.