Re: [SORRY] I broke python311 and other packages

* On 2024-05-02 at 00:54 BST, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

Can any one please explain what's wrong with my changes.  It seems
that I'm missing something fundanetal but I don't see where exactly.

I've explained the problems with the nls option changes and ensuring buildlink3.mk is in sync elsewhere.

To be fair, the python311 breakage is only partly your fault. You changed the readline library to be editline by default, and while this may work on NetBSD, it fails on at least macOS and Linux.

The underlying problem is that python's patches/patch-setup.py is broken, and I'm really uncomfortable with the number of changes it makes that aren't documented properly.

In particular, it completely removes ncursesw support, which is what causes the bug here. The curses module checks for ncurses extended colour functions and enables them if new enough, but because of our patch it ends up linking against libncurses instead which does not contain those functions.

If I completely remove patch-setup.py it builds correctly.

Maybe someone who is familiar with why this change was made (it's been cargo-culted around since at least py38) can explain what problem it is trying to solve.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com