Re: Problems getting X to run properly on 9.0/amd64

Am 18.07.20 um 00:26 schrieb Michael Siegel:
> Am 15.07.20 um 12:33 schrieb nia:
>> It looks like there are existing problem reports for
>> "pckbport: command timeout", some containing information
>> about workarounds.
>
> Okay, I'll have a look.

Well, here's what I've found:

#25208

  * Last modified in 2008
  * Suggests this is an ACPI issue
  * Suggested workaround:
    * Recompile the kernel with "pckbc*  at acpi?" commented out.

#35435

  * Last modified in 2011
  * Merely reports the same problems I have, but doesn't suggest any
    workarounds.
  * Refers to #43331 for further information. (See below)

#36871

  * Last modified in 2007
  * Suggests this is an ACPI issue
  * Suggested workaround:
    * Recompile the kernel with
      * "pms*  at pckbc?" and
      * "wsmouse*  at pms? mux 0"
      commented out in the config.

#37229

  * Last modified in 2007
  * Suggests this is MP-related
  * Suggested workaround:
    * Use a UP kernel.

#43261

  * Last modified in 2010
  * Merely reports the error and complains that a keyboard with a faulty
    driver is not being allowed to work.

#43331

  * Last modified in 2018
  * Suggests this is an ACPI issue
  * Suggested workaround:
    * Recompile the kernel with "no pckbc*  at acpi?".

#40409

  * Last modified in 2014
  * Doesn't really seem to be related.

So, the first thing I tried was recompiling the kernel with

  #pckbc*		at acpi?

That didn't do anything to improve the situation.

Second, I recompiled the kernel with the above re-enabled, but

  #pms*  at pckbc?
  #wsmouse*  at pms? mux 0

This reduced startup and shutdown times for X considerably and also made
my keyboard work in X. Shutdown time for X is still at around 15
seconds, though. The touchpad is still unresponsive, but the
USB-connected mouse I'm using instead works fine.

So, the remaining questions at this point are:

1. Should I file a PR on this?
2. Are there ways to potentially get the touchpad to work?

--Michael