Re: XF86Config not allowing max resolution and mouse wheel doesn't work

Desmond Chapman wrote:
I'm a bit new at NetBSD- as you can tell. How do I upgrade to X11R7 from XFree86R4? Yes, I subscribed to the NetBSD regular mailing list for amd64- should I reinstall using x86_64?- but it was bounced and rejected. Any and all help is appreciated. You can also send me personal emails for howto's if you want.
Thanks for the help so far.

Hi Desmond --

Here are some simple steps to get you started:

1. Fetch pkgsrc:
   http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/getting.html#getting-via-cvs

2. Move XFree86 out of the way:
   # mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.orig

3. Enable modular xorg support in pkgsrc:
   # echo 'X11_TYPE=modular' >>/etc/mk.conf

4. Install the modular xorg meta-pkgs:
   # cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-apps && make install
   # cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-drivers && make install
   # cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-fonts && make install
   # cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-libs && make install

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jared