Re: /etc/services losses

Hauke Fath <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:20:40 +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>> Greg Troxel wrote in <rmijzuhkoa4.fsf%s1.lexort.com@localhost>:
>>  |Hauke Fath <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost> writes:
>>  |> attached is a diff with services that for some reason or other got
>>  |> dropped from /etc/services - in particular Amanda* and AppleTalk.
>>  |The really big question here is the relationship between our
>>  |/etc/services and
> <https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt>
>
> Indeed, and our /etc/services looks a lot more like a copycat of that
> file than like the output of Steffen's script - thanks for that. Has it
> ever been used for a commit, though?

You should write to the people that did the commits and ask them.

> IANA appears to have settled on submissions for port 465 (which,
> coincidentally, was assigned to 'urd' in the netbsd-5 version, and the
> NetBSD addition then declared the smtps alias). A web search for
> 'smtps' confirms widespread use, so this should be maintained as an
> alias for 'submissions' IMO.

I must have misread.  The iana link above clearly has submissions =
465/tcp.  It also has urd.  So our file should of course match.

There's a huge point here that I want to make explicit.  We need to have
a sane process for updating from IANA, and that involves

  - having a script to convert IANA into our format

  - having that script checked into the sources

  - some mechanism to maintain the "local additions" section at the end

  - probably a scheme to maintain any diffs from IANA, if we really want
    any

  - probably a way to build a new file from iana-converted and local