Re: DRM/KMS

Le Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 03:31:13PM -0400, Mouse a écrit :
> > 4. And of course, GPU is hard.  [...]
>
> This is true.
>
> I know someone who works on GPU support _with_ the benefit of NDAed
> documentation.  He says typical GPUs have documentation errata lists
> substantially longer than the documentation itself (as in 400 pages of
> doc, 900 pages of errata).
>
> That said, if tlaronde@ is willing to try, I say go for it.  In case of
> failure, NetBSD is no worse off; in case of success, substantially
> better.  And there's enough track record there that I don't consider it
> nearly as unlikely to succeed as I would for most people (myself
> included).

OK, so I take up the challenge.

What I need from core (someone who has access to the CVS server), is a
copy of the CVS tree. I have only GSM access to Internet, with varying
speed and paying by the byte, so "downloading", supposing it was
available, is not an option.

So to whoever from core:

1) Make the estimate of costs in USB keys needed, time needed for the
operator and shipping costs to France and add a margin/profit for the
foundation;

2) Send me the estimate. I will then make a donation of that amount
(margin included) to the NetBSD foundation;

3) Once I have received the USB key(s), the countdown for a delay of 3
months will start for the achievement of the first step: put DRM/KMS
clearly aside so that the remaining of the kernel will be orthogonal to
its present design and that there will be a framebuffer working,
independant from any code coming from DRM/KMS (or X11, BTW...), DRM/KMS
being only an optional addition.

After three months, I will report success or failure (or enough success
to extend once the period for 3 months to achieve the work).

Whether core is OK or not, please let me know.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/