Re: tcsh as csh default

On 21 Oct 2022, at 15:00, Martin Neitzel <neitzel%hackett.marshlabs.gaertner.de@localhost> wrote:

>> Any good reason to not update /bin/csh to tcsh as default csh like FreeBSD
>> and Dragonfly did?
>
> I use csh/tcsh interactively (not for sripts), and I am heavily in
> love with and dependent on csh's !-style history feature.  None of
> the other shells in base provide that.  I pick !-history over
> "line editing" any time.  (I grew up with that.)
>
> I only favour tcsh over csh because the TAB completion (instead of
> ESC) aligns better with all the linux-bashs I have to use.  (It's
> very irritating to have to constantly switch between TAB and ESC
> between systems.  Compared with that, I don't care much about any
> of the other tcsh extras, such as spelling correction.  Well,
> tcsh's command completion is certainly nice, too, but I wouldn't
> kill for that.)
>
> So yes:  another vote to "go tcsh!" in base.
>
> Martin Neitzel

I actually started the work towards this some time ago and have a patch:
http://downloads.chrispinnock.com/tcsh/tcsh-src-0.2.tar.gz

(Note that I’ve only tested the above on amd64 & macppc - there may be some cross-compilation stuff to look at.)

Whether we should actually do this or not is a matter of mixed opinion. Our csh is maintained with a few more features (e.g. set edit gives you a “cheap tcsh") and has a smaller footprint and adding tcsh after install is just a pkgin install command away.