Re: sh(1) and ksh(1) default PATH

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 12:33:39AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 08:59:07PM +0000, nia wrote:
> > A problem many new NetBSD users encounter is that a default shell
> > without an initialized home directory containing a ~/.profile
> > does not include some system PATH entries that would otherwise be
> > provided from /etc/skel/.profile.
>
> Garbage In, Garbage Out. We should most definitely not hard-code all
> those directories in the shell.
>
> Joerg

Which ones in particular do you object to, and why is hard coding all
of those directories worse than hard-coding
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin?  It's extremely confusing to get some
commands but not all commands in PATH, and there are already systems
consuming NetBSD code that don't follow that old unix directory
structure.