Re: Proposal: remove usr.bin/mkstr

Hello,

Le Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 03:16:24PM +0200, Roland Illig a écrit :
> [About the removal of mkstr]
> [...]
>
> I chose mkstr because I thought it would be uncontroversial, to see
> whether it is possible at all to remove a tool that was useful 30 years
> ago for the last time.

Have mkstr(1) and xstr(1) ever been used for localization? Because
putting the literal strings in a separate file is one simple way to be
able to switch messages depending on locales; this may still be---with
some adaptation---a use case.

BTW---and for an historical note---D.E. Knuth's TANGLE program
(used for generating the Pascal code for the TeX programs WEB source
files) uses this technique and it is indeed one possibility to
localize the message for the TeX user (except for a few messages
that may be used before loading this catalog specially if the loading
eventually fails).

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/