Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

> Does anyone actually do this -- have local mounts on top of remote
> mounts?

At the moment I don't, but I have in the past and have no real doubt I
will in the future.

> I keep hearing about the theoretical possibility of /usr on nfs and
> /usr/src or /usr/local on local ffs.

Back when I worked with a smallish (10-20) farm of mostly-diskless
machines, it was not uncommon to have most machines set up with an
fstab that looked something like (to use NetBSD syntax)

server:/nfs/root/myname / nfs rw
server:/nfs/usr/myarch /usr nfs rw
server:/nfs/home /home nfs rw
kernfs /kern kernfs rw
procfs /proc procfs rw

and then one or two of them with real disk adding a line or two like

/dev/sd0a /project ffs rw

or

/dev/wd0a /home/someone/something ffs rw

Such machines could, of course, be set up as fully diskful.  But in an
environment like that the benefits of keeping the machines' setups
_almost_ identical can easily outweigh the benefits of going diskful.

> But you'd really have to go out of your way to set that up --
> certainly sysinst won't do that for you.

Sysinst won't do lots of things many people want.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign