Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 08:30:11AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I still don't understand and object to this "zfs is special" notion.
>
> It is special because it just does not use /etc/fstab (usually).
> I don't like this part either, but we probably don't want to make our
> ZFS different from others (or force "legacy" markers).
>
> Martin

The dynamic inheritance that one can do with filesets (allowing a new
fileset to be carved out of an existing one perhaps with different
properties) makes the use of the /etc files very troubled especially
when you delegate fileset administration to someone other than root.
The ZFS legacy marker more or less says that I don't want to do that
with this entity and won't make use of these abilities.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org