Re: Addition of ppoll(2), a wrapper around pollts(2)

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 01:37:41AM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> I agree here with Joerg.
>
> At this point it's good to just add a wrapper as in the proposed patch.
> Once we will bump libc major, we can rename the syscall and remove
> pollts references.
>
> Weak alias would still be nicer, but it might be not worth the
> complexity of tweaking the syscall stab code generation.
>
> I think it's good to test t_pollts and t_ppoll as in theory they are
> different APIs. Long term t_pollts can be removed, after libc major bump.

I don't think it is that complex, see the already existing

/*
 * WSYSCALL(weak,strong) is like RSYSCALL(weak), except that weak is
 * a weak internal alias for the strong symbol.
 */

(which is of course used for something totaly different right now, but
should work for this case too) and probably all it would take is a
special clause in lib/libc/sys/Makefile.inc.

I would

 - rename the syscall
 - either make an alias for the old name or use a wrapper as suggested (but
   the other way around)
 - check if there is a good place for a SYS_... define and add that as
   an alias for syscall(2)
 - rename the uses in the test case (just like the syscal has been renamed)
 - add an entry in the libc TODO file for the mythical bump

Martin