Re: Addition of ppoll(2), a wrapper around pollts(2)

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 04:32:14AM +0530, Apurva Nandan wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have added ppoll(2) implementation to libc/sys, which is a wrapper around
> pollts(2) function (basically, pollts(2) and ppoll(2) are aliases, and
> NetBSD has pollts(2)).

Why not just add a weak alias for the function? It seems the only difference
is the name. Did I overlook something?

> This is done to increase the compatibility
> with Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFly and Illumos.

The man page diff does not suggest any standards that define this function.
If everyone else just picked a different name, shouldn't we just adjust
the name and add a weak alias for the old name to keep compatibility
(and add a note to remove it on the mythical libc bump)?

> Please have a look on the patch attached hereby and commit it to base after
> a review.

The generated configure changes should probably not be done manually here.
You did not add any uses of the function internally in libc, so I wonder
if the namespace.h change is correct.

If we end up with an alias in the end, no new atf test is needed.

Martin