Re: getrandom and getentropy

nia%NetBSD.org@localhost (nia) writes:

>is insisting). All of that depends on assumptions and trust - it
>does no measurement of the value of the entropy being provided.

Previously we could trust in random processes, whether the entropy
estimation was scientific or not. We could also chose what source
to trust.

Now we put all trust in loading a constant file.

>This hardware can reasonably block forever on first boot, due to
>the large number of sources of entropy that are no longer measured.

Not "can". It does, definitely, always.

And it never blocks on second boot.

We just gave up and say, without a HWRNG (which we believe is perfect),
it's the users problem to provide randomness.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost