Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 07:38:34AM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:

> and mounted.  So, so what if you get / first and then have to wait for
> the rest of the fsck's to happen vs a fsck of a single large file
> system?  At the end of the day it will take about the same amount f time
> to get the machine to a usable state.

That.  To me the argument that we should have /usr split from / "because
it takes too long to fsck huge filesystems" makes sense only if one's
put totally inappropriate stuff in /usr.

I can see entirely reasonable arguments for splitting out /home and /var
and /tmp in the default partitioning.  But spraying the system's executables
and libraries out across two filesystems so half of them are in / and half
of them are in /usr "to make fsck faster"?  To me it just stinks of "that's
how it was in my Golden Youth and I want it that way FOREVER!".

Moving part of the system to /usr was a *necessary evil* when it was done.
There is no real rhyme nor reason to what's in /bin vs /usr/bin, even less
to /sbin vs /usr/sbin, except "huh, I need _this_ and I'm willing to make
/ a little bigger to hold it".  But why shouldn't / just be big enough to
hold all of /usr?  Because of header files and static libraries and other
toolchain components?  I'm going to submit that if you have a machine
suitable for development, then you have a machine where the time to fsck
a few directories of libraries and header files *in the rare instances
when you're booting single-user with a r/w /* will not in fact be large.

Remember, we already split out the "heavy hitters" (/home, /var) to
paths (and thus filesystems, if you like)  of their own.  I really can't see
why we shouldn't fix the mess with every directory in / being mirrored
over into /usr, which was acknowledged as an unfortunate compromise when
it was made.