Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 09:32:30PM +0000, Alexander Nasonov wrote:

> I like it when fsck doesn't take ages to check /. With bigger /,
> it's going to be problematic.

This argument has always puzzled me even if you leave aside the fact
that we have wapbl so most of the time it is just a matter of replaying
the log and on your way - even if you suffer through a fsck, so what if
you have / up first?  This may be satisfying from a sys admin point of
view because you can get in and Do Stuff(tm) but the machine is not
useful until all the file systems that need to be mounted are checked
and mounted.  So, so what if you get / first and then have to wait for
the rest of the fsck's to happen vs a fsck of a single large file
system?  At the end of the day it will take about the same amount f time
to get the machine to a usable state.

--
Brett Lymn
--